What should I do when I have a car accident in Spain?

Having a car accident is a traumatic experience made worse if you are in a foreign country and don’t speak the language fluently or maybe not at all.

English-European-Accident-Statement-Statement-of-FactsWhether the accident is your fault or that of the other party you should fill in the ‘European Accident Statement’. It doesn’t matter which language you fill in as they are all the same, so if you make sure you have a copy in your own language you can fill in a form in any language using your own as reference. On this website http://www.cartraveldocs.com/ you can print a copy in a number of languages, including English, Spanish, Dutch, German & French.

It doesn’t matter whether you fill in side A (blue) or B (yellow), just make sure you have ticked the correct boxes on your side and sign it at the bottom. Signing does not admit liability, the insurance company decides who is at fault. If there are witnesses to the accident try and get their contact details. If the person you have the accident with has insurance from a country other than the one you are in then you should also get a copy of their green card (take a photo with your phone). It’s also a good idea to take photos of the scene if you can.

As soon as possible after the accident contact your insurance company and give them the form you filled in and as much additional information as you can.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *