What should I do when I have a car accident in Spain?

Having a car accident is a traumatic experience made worse if you are in a foreign country and don’t speak the language fluently or maybe not at all.

English-European-Accident-Statement-Statement-of-FactsWhether the accident is your fault or that of the other party you should fill in the ‘European Accident Statement’. It doesn’t matter which language you fill in as they are all the same, so if you make sure you have a copy in your own language you can fill in a form in any language using your own as reference. On this website http://www.cartraveldocs.com/ you can print a copy in a number of languages, including English, Spanish, Dutch, German & French.

It doesn’t matter whether you fill in side A (blue) or B (yellow), just make sure you have ticked the correct boxes on your side and sign it at the bottom. Signing does not admit liability, the insurance company decides who is at fault. If there are witnesses to the accident try and get their contact details. If the person you have the accident with has insurance from a country other than the one you are in then you should also get a copy of their green card (take a photo with your phone). It’s also a good idea to take photos of the scene if you can.

As soon as possible after the accident contact your insurance company and give them the form you filled in and as much additional information as you can.

Emergency Contact Numbers

In the event your car breaks down and you need to call breakdown assistance or you have another kind of emergency you will need the following telephone numbers:

Caser Seguros:

  • 902 33 77 66 – Roadside Assistance in Spain
  • +34 915 94 94 22 – Roadside Assistance outside Spain
  • 902 36 65 05 / 902 35 20 35 (English) – Home Assistance Service
  • 902 10 08 57 – Travel Assistance
  • +34 915 94 96 90 – Travel Assistance from outside Spain
  • 902 19 01 91 – Health – 24hr emergency hotline
  • 902 11 04 17 – Funeral assistance


  • 902 20 70 10 – 24hr Assistance

Plus Ultra (was Groupama):

  • 902 15 10 15 – Assistance in Spain
  • +34 913 93 90 30 – Assistance outside Spain

Liberty Seguros:

  • 900 10 13 69 – Roadside Assistance in Spain
  • +34 934 95 51 25 – Roadside Assistance outside Spain
  • 900 24 36 57 – 24hr Home Assistance

8 Things You Should Know About Car Insurance In Spain

For expats living in Spain it is easy to run into problems if you don’t know the differences between Spanish insurance and that from your home country.

This information applies to cars which are insured in Spain.

1)     You only need a Green Card if you are taking your car outside of Spain.

2)     If you pay for your insurance by direct debit then the receipt from your bank is your valid insurance certificate.

3)     Even though you may pay your insurance in instalments, the contract is for a whole year so you can’t decide part way through the year to change your insurance to a different company. This also means that even if you sell your car you still have to pay the whole years’ premium. As long as you have the certificate from Trafico that the car has been put in someone else’s name, most companies will give a credit which can be used on a new policy.

4)     If you have an accident it is important to fill in the blue accident form. It doesn’t matter which language you fill in because they are all exactly the same. So if you are filling in a Spanish form you can use an English one to help you translate the questions. If you have an accident with someone with an insurance from another country then it is a good idea to also get a copy of their green card (you can take a photo of it).

5)     Car insurance is automatically renewed in Spain unless you give 1 months notice. If you don’t give notice and decide just not to pay the renewal the insurance company is entitled to sue you for the amount of the premium. Even if they don’t pursue you, if you want to make another insurance with the same company in the future you may not be able to as their records will show you have an unpaid bill.

6)     In Spain it is always the car that is insured, not the person. So anyone can drive your car with your permission as long as they are between 28 and 70 years old and have a full valid driving license for at least 2 years. They don’t need to be a named driver. If someone younger or older wants to drive your car then you need to consult with the insurance company. (This information specifically applies to Caser Seguros. Other companies are similar but the ages may differ.)

7)     Always check exactly what cover is included in your insurance. Don’t make assumptions; some things you might expect to be included automatically could be optional extras.

8)     You can travel outside of Spain with your car for up to 90 days. Mostly you will have the same cover as when driving in Spain but check your policy to see exactly what is covered.

For more information or to get a no obligation quotation please contact our office.